SEO Marketing Expert in Weston super Mare
Hi, my name is Jason Smith, a born and bred Westonian and now aged 53, born in 1970. I’ve been working as an SEO for over 20 years. My career in digital marketing began while working with clients from one of the worlds largest movie companies Lucasfilm Ltd, the makers of the Star Wars sci-fi movies. I had the priviledge of working with many actors and oscar winners such as Dave Prowse (Darth Vader) to John Mollo (Designer & Artist) and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett). Website design, marketing and events kept my clients extremely busy while teaching them the ways of the internet and particularly Google.
Weston-super-Mare AFC win Great Mills League 1991-92
I had the honour of playing for my local Town Weston-super-Mare AFC in the floodlit league, to the Weston-super-Mare Reserves and then onto the first team, and ended up winning the Western Football League Title before joing Taunton Town FC at priory lane. I was part of the squad that were finalists in the F.A Somerset Premier Cup, I recall scoring 5 goals in 6 games, then the following season watching the squad continue to finally play at Wembley Stadium in London.
Weston-super-Mare AFC History
The Formation of Weston-super-Mare AFC
- 1887/1888 – Weston-super-Mare AFC Inaugural Football Match
- 1911 – Weston-super-Mare Win their first cup triumph, winning the Weston Charity Cup
- 1913/1914 – Finishing third in the Bristol Charity League
- 1922/23 – Runners-up in the Bristol and District League
- 1923 – Winners of the Bristol Charity Cup beating Clevedon 8-2
- 1926/27 – Winners of the Somerset Senior Cup, defeating Paulton Rovers 3-2
- 1939 – The outbreak of the Second World War, the club was sadly disbanded
The Re-formation and New Beginning for Weston Seagulls
- 1948 – following the Second World War, the present club reformed in 1948
- 1948 – Weston joins the Western League Division 2
- 1948 – Formation of Supporters Club and Secretary Mr Sam Wooding introduced
- 1955/1956 Weston-super-Mare football club move to new Langford Road Ground
- 1960/61 – Weston are elected to Division 1 of the Western Football League
- 1960/61 – Weston reach the First Round Proper of the FA Cup
- 1983/84 – Woodspring Park becomes the new home ground for Weston
- 1986 – The introduction of Floodlights and new clubhouse at the club (Played in this match)
- 1991/92 – Weston become Western League Championship Winners
- 1993/94 – The club record a record 10 game unbeaten run
- 2000 – Weston obtain the site ground of Westlands to expand build and club facilities
- 2002/2003 – Runners-up in Western Division & Promoted to Dr. Martens League Premier Division
- 2003/2004 – Weston finish high enough to eneter the Nationwide Conference South Division
- 2003/2004 – 1st Ever time of reaching the 2nd Round of the FA Cup
- 2018 – Weston win the Somerset Premier Cup beating Paulton Rovers
- 2019 – Woodspring Stadium is renamed as The Optima Stadium with new sponsors Optima Care
- 2022/2023 – Weston win Southern League Premier South Championship 31 years since the last
Weston-super-Mare AFC Floodlights
I recall playing under the floodlights and them being switched on for the very first time, if memory serves me right it was against one of the Bristol sides, it was Weston Reserves, we won and I remember scoring under the floodlights, a surreal time in football and amazing to see how the club was rapidly progressing. Progress came with much courtesy to the supporters who had raised much of the money and hard labour work getting the lights and clubhouse built. I was called up into the 1st team to play away v Minehead, a match we needed to win and keep presssure oon the chasing teams for a chance of winning the Western League. I was on the bench, 88 minutes gone, it’s still 0-0, my opportunity had come, courtesy of the injury to Matt Lazenby, but it was Matt who asked the manager John Ellener to get me on. I remember my first chance, the ball played through to me from Julian Stearnes, I’d beaten the off-side trap and as the keeper approached me I chipped the keeper…..1-0 Weston!!! Into injury time, seconds left, we got a corner, it fell right onto my right foot…..2-0, the keeper didn’t have a chance, Weston were on our way to our first ever League Title since reformation of the club. I couldn’t have been more proud. The coach journey home from Minehead was all a blur as celebrations were high. I remember reading the Bristol Evening post the next day and the Sports Page Headlines read “Super Sub Smith Seals Victory for Seagulls.” Having played for my home Town meant more to me than anything, from the Under 18’s, Reserves to first team appearance. I had football trials in Holland, met up with many old friends at Ajax FC and trials with UK clubs Bristol City and Crystal Palace.
Climb, Succeed, Achieve
Sport was always going to be an important part of my life and sadly when my footballing days were finished in 1999 I turned to some outdoor adventures around the world such as climbing Kilimanjairo in Tanzania, climbing Mont Blanc in France, I was fortunate to summit some epic mountains and in amazing locations while dodging a few disasters along the way such as the deadly Mont Maudit avalanche of 2012 while ascending Mont Blanc via the Trois Mont Route, I was to return again a year later to successfuly summit via the Gouter Route, visiting the newly opened Refuge Du Gouter en-route.
SEO involves Algorithms, Consistency & a Marketing Strategy…a little like Marathon Running.
I kept very fit, running, climbing, backpacking and wild camping became a regular thing, I wanted to achieve lots more, be successful at my job and get as many skills for the things I loved in business and life skills and experiences. They seemed to all come in aces. I ran my first ever London Marathon in 1999, this was to become a habit running a total of 4 before attempting something that few people had ever done in the early 2010’s was to run 7 marathons in 7 days.
Digital Footprint Grows, Social Potentials Expand
Year on year my client portfolio grew, working with major global brands and artists, TV actors and up and coming brands that were searching for more custom and search traffic. Since 2001 the internet grew, digital footprints expanding with YouTube videos, Social Media platforms, blogging became more important, website responsiveness and quality content became paramount. Google launched the popular Google Business and Google Local Maps, voice search for routes and search engine results and while Google, Bing and Yahoo continued to adapt to the digital expansion for users. Easypay, ECommerce, Paypal, Crypto and to some of the latest online and shopping aspects of experiences to simplify everyday experiences such as Amazon One.
The famous Grand Pier of Weston-super-Mare
It wasn’t until the Grand Pier in Weston-super-Mare needed re-building that I started to provide local SEO for more local businesses. My client supplied services that helped re-build the famous pier after a devastating fire in 2008. It was during this sad time I opted to provide local search engine marketing for businesses in the North Somerset region. The following years provided me with numerous challenges and adventures locally and Internationally. The avalanche of 2012 was somewhat a trigger in achieving more having been sponsored by so many for our local charity Weston Hospicecare, 2013 the summit of Mont Blanc success. It wasn’t long before a world famous British Street artist was to make Weston-super-Mare even more famous than it already was, as Banksy came to Town with his Artwork.
Grand Pier Planning and Construction:
- 1903-1904: Vision for the new Grand Pier
- 1904-1907: Design and construction of the new pier
- 1907: Grand opening of the “New Grand Pier“
The Early Grand Pier Years:
- 1907-1910s: Early days of the Grand Pier and its popularity
- 1914-1918/1939-1945: Grand Pier during World War I and II
- 1950s-1960s: Decline of the pier in the 1950s and 1960s
- 1970s-1980s: Restoration efforts in the 1970s and 1980s
Grand Pier Renovations and Modernisation:
- 1990s-2000s: Restoration and modernization of the Grand Pier
- 2008: Re-opening of The Grand Pier after major renovations
Popular Annual Dates at The Grand Pier
- Annual events: Annual firework displays on the Grand Pier every November* (weather permitting)
- Numerous years: Many Concerts and festivals are held on the pier each Summer
- 2011: HRH Diamond Jubilee Celebrations take place on the Grand Pier
- 2012: Olympic Torch relay on the Grand Pier
- 2015: Grand Pier’s 108th Birthday Celebrations
- 2023: Grand Pier lights up Purple in aid of Pancreatic Cancer and in support of local cyclists Jason Smith & Jason Belcher
Banksy Dismaland Bemusement Park Art Installation
It was a project that became a global story. The Tropicana became the home of the art installation with many artworks and surreal feeling of disillusionment and dissatisfaction, in contrast to the typical cheerful and enthusiastic atmosphere of traditional theme parks, Banksy’s was always going to be somewhat contraversial. The whole town was talking about it, soon followed by what seemed to be the rest of the world.
These were notes recorded regarding Dismaland.Dismaland was a temporary art project organized by Banksy, constructed in the seaside resort town of Weston-super-Mare in Somerset, England.
Prepared in secret, the pop-up exhibition at the Tropicana, a disused lido, was “a sinister twist on Disneyland” that opened during the weekend of August 21, 2015 and closed permanently on September 27, 2015 (36 days later).
Just some of the art installations and i’ve listed some of my personal favourites:
- The Jeffrey Archer Memorial Fire Pit: This large fire pit, adorned with a portrait of the controversial politician Jeffrey Archer, is enclosed by barbed wire and CCTV cameras.
- The Pocket Money Loans: A satirical kiosk offering loans to children at staggering 5,000% interest rates, presenting a playful yet critical commentary.
- The Cinderella’s Castle: A subversive take on the iconic Disney castle, featuring a dilapidated appearance and a crashed pumpkin carriage, providing an alternative satirical view supposedly that of the late Princess Diana.
- The Little Mermaid: An unconventional sight of a submerged Ariel sculpture in a murky tank, sporting a Burger King crown on her head, offering a unique twist on the familiar character.
- The Model Village: A dystopian miniature model village, vividly detailed with overturned police cars and protesting citizens, highlighting societal issues.
- The Crazy Golf: A dysfunctional and dilapidated crazy golf course, featuring obstacles like oil drums, a CCTV camera, and a disturbing Guantanamo Bay-style chamber, offering a stark reflection.
- The Princess Diana Easter Egg: Many found the shocking piece hidden inside Banksy’s ‘Dismaland’ gut-wrenching.
Local British Adventurer makes National News
My SEO work for local businesses and National companies continued but so did my Adventures. I suddenly became listed No:80 in the Top 100 British Adventurers having set a New British Record of sleep deprevation in 2001, winning a Renault Modus at the local Renault showroom in Weston, before being interviewed for my endurance endeavours of running 7 marathons in 7 days. Instead of running on 7 Continents, I opted to run to 7 iconic locations in my own County of Somerset with a carefully selected group of friends. The epic marathon journey began at the iconic Grand Pier, the local BBC News covered the progress finally finishing at Weston Hospicecare during the Mendip Challenge. We helped raise in excess of £10,000 for 7 different charities including the Weston RNLI station. Numerous videos were posted regarding the challenge. As a local to Weston I eventually set-up a LinkedIn page purely for my fundraising and adventures to make marketing and promoting of the events much easier.
Support and Guidance Through Our Journey
So hard to believe it was 9 years ago, the support and emotions of running these marathons after 9 months of training was very special. Finishing at such an iconic charity grounds of the Weston Hospicecare that has supported and cared for thousands of cancer sufferers and terminally ill people could not have made the reason more clear to continue running through the pain. The option to just walk was never on my mind, each day was a marathon, to run, it was what I had spent 9 months of my life focusing on that finish line and running across it. The Marathon journey began outside the grand pier with an epic send-off, the BBC Points West cameras were there and all our families and friends, even Batman had turned up and an open-top vehicle. Local charities were chosen by the public on social media, the local RNLI station, the Childrens Hospice South West, 2 vital and such important charities and both so different. MNDA, Alzheimers Society, MPS and the Lullaby Trust, each and everyone of these amazing charities pushed each of us through the 26.2 miles every day. Check-out the video I created for the 7x7x7, it highlights the route taken from Weston-super-Mare to Bristol, onto Bath, Glastonbury, then onto Taunton, back to Weston-super-Mare, over to Wells and then finally the Mendip Challenge 30 miles across the Mendips and finally finishing at the Weston Hospice.
Trouble While on Mount Snowdon
The crazy adventures continued and the charity fundraising targets seemed to be getting higher and harder to reach. I always thought it would be Everest or Denali that would become a major problem in succeeding to reach each summit, however, it amost turned out to be the local and highest peak mountain of Wales. One stormy night almost turned into one last night on a mountain for myself and fellow climbers.
Cycling with World Record Breakers & The Legend Mark Beaumont
It was a dream come true to be one of just 80 people who got to ride in a 24 hour cycling challenge with legends who had achieved unimaginable sporting acheivements. The event was set-up by the world famous cyclist Mark Beaumont, during the virus lockdown and in support of the NHS. The BBC interviewed me and this was what was published.
Mr Smith, from Weston-super-Mare, is no stranger to long bike rides, having cycled from London to Paris in 24 hours and ridden the length of Great Britain,
But the 50-year-old said Thursday’s event was a step up. “When Mark Beaumont invited me to be involved I jumped at the chance,” Mr Smith said. “I was desperate to do something for the NHS as they’ve been brilliant. “It was tough but it was nice to share the pain with other amazing riders.”
Cycling the Length of Britain – Jogle
What followed was the devastating news my Cousin Sam had a brain tumour, she had asked me to cycle the length of Britain. I’d not owned a bicycle for over 30 years but it wasn’t long before I was tackling long rides every weekend around the streets of Weston and up onto the Mendips up through Cheddar Gorge and further out to Wells or Glastonbury. Achieving this cycling feat while once again stopping off at the iconic Grand Pier for family and friends support made our cycling journey that much sweeter. With the help of Sammy, family, friends and total strangers, we exceeded £50,000 in donations for the Brain Tumour Association. Sammy sadly passed away the following March, leaving behind two beautiful young children and a devastated Husband Tom. I vowed to continue cycling in Sam’s memory, with mascot Samuel who Sam had given me as support for our Jogle ride. The local media coverage for the ride was amazing, arriving back at my home Town meant so much to me as it provided the perfecct opportunity to see family and friends and pushed us all to the finish at Lands End.
A Challenge to me is ALWAYS Like a Personal Invitation to Succeed
Many more challenges were to follow, cycling 24 hours along the Weston promenade supported by local business Stones Cafe on Knightstone Island all in aid of the Sue Ryder charity. Then came my biggest challenge to date, cycling around the coast of Ireland in the Transatlantic Way Race followed by just 6 weeks later cycling The tcrno6 Transcontinental Race across Europe.
My love for cycling has grown year on year despite in 2022 being hit by a car on my side of the road in the former Czech Republic, now Czechia. My injuries were not substantial but my anxiety has certainly raised with the concerns of road traffic and loud noises while on the road. If you attend Cycling Shows hopefully you’ll bump into me at a forthcoming show in Birmingham. Or better still you’ll have the chance to talk to me regarding your business website and digital marketing online.
The Digital Journey – SEO Somerset Clients
Experience the Smarter Wiser Journey with me, Jason SEO Smith at smarterwiser.co.uk. Kickstart your SEO roadmap with a tailored strategy. Book a complimentary 20-minute chat online, this will include a thorough Google audit in preparation for our discussion, highlighting potential on-site issues with your website.
As our SEO journey begins, here’s what you can anticipate:
- Prior to our conversation, I will perform an in-depth Google audit report to ensure we cover all bases
- Discover crucial insights and any major issues
- Uncover your domain address and its age to grasp its history and evolution
- Understand any previous SEO work, if any, to tailor our strategy effectively and efficiently
- Identify target search phrases that align with your business objectives and enhance visibility
- Evaluate current Google rankings for these search phrases to build upon existing strengths
- Define the top three geographical areas you aim to target, whether it’s UK Nationwide for eCommerce or specific localities
- Assess your competitors, locally, regionally and potentially nationally
- Address any important questions or concerns you might have. Even if you’re new to the SEO landscape, rest assured, I will navigate you through it with clear and comprehensive explanations
- What is SEO? How does it work? Please explain in a way I can understand
- Who is Jason Smith? How good is he at Marketing and SEO?
- Here’s what others are saying about me and my services – Hundreds of amazing reviews since 2001
You will receive a full website audit that highlights your website, pages, content, images and potential errors that may need resolving. A proper Google audit to take away and implement yourself
At Smarter Wiser, Jason SEO Smith’s expertise is not just about rankings; it’s about your journey towards SEO success. Let’s drive your online presence forward, starting from the very top, ensuring a seamless and informed strategy tailored to your unique business goals.
SEO Weston-super-Mare Professional Digital Marketing Services est. 2001
Google Local Rankings Service – SEO Near Me
Many people ask “Jason, can you search engine optimise my website, it’s been designed on WordPress?” I have core skills that include HTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) so there’s very rarely a website that we have not performed amazing results for our SEO or marketing services. Web CMS or block-build web platforms such as Wix and Squarespace are perfect platforms for targeting local search when optimised. Web platforms including: Weebly, Simple Site, the 1&1 IONOS web builds, GoDaddy, Squarespace and Wix are terrific at highly targeted local services.
If your business operates within Worle, a vibrant part of Weston-super-Mare, encompassing St Georges and its outskirts, a free website builder might suffice, especially if you offer niche local services. Consider scenarios like being a plumber, electrician or maybe a mobile hairdresser that provides these services within your immediate neighbourhood, or maybe a commercial or home window cleaner —platforms like WIX, GoDaddy or Squarespace site builders can adequately meet these specific needs.
However, regardless of your chosen web platforms, achieving online superiority over your local competitors demands consistent digital marketing efforts every month. This begins directly at your website content, soon followed by your online business details. Elevating your website above the competition entails a strategic and ongoing commitment to various digital marketing tasks.
At Smarter Wiser, we understand the intricacies of local businesses in Worle, Weston-super-Mare, St Georges and its surroundings. North Somerset is quite a large area. We guide you through the process, ensuring that your online presence stands out amidst local competition.
Weston super Mare SEO living in Wick-st-Lawrence, Somerset
It was in 2001 when I started working from home in Weston, actually located in Wick-st-Lawrence, I’ve been living in the same house for over 20 years at Juniper Place. A swift 2 minute walk to the Weston Crematorium gates which is just at the bottom of the lane that runs past the back of my home. Another customer Ian Phillips Photography has his studio at the Highfield House, Ebdon Road. I’m in my 50’s now and still love the job I do and super proud of the results we create for the customers. I’ve been providing SEO and Marketing for Aquablast Drain Services for over 15 years in 2024. Steve and Jane are like family to me.
Weston-super-Mare has many hidden gems, famous for it’s Trapnell donkeys and long beach, the promenade and 2 piers!!! But, many people don’t know that the tide comes in the bay twice a day, and not just that but it has the 2nd fastest tidal system in the World! Weston was also home to the Romans once with a recent archeaological finding and tv show to confirm the settlement in Banwell and Bleadon.
Somerset Google Ranking Local Services – Website Search Engine Optimisation
My list of clients and customers covers a vast amount of local businesses and tradesman. Here’s a few that highlight just how diverse my SEO services and marketing in Weston has continued to grow.
- Drain Cleaners
- Headlines Hair Salon
- Heating Engineers
- Wedding Planners
- Beauty Salons
- Estate Agents
- Property Management Companies
- Landscape Gardeners
- Construction Companies
- Repair Companies
- Double Glazing Companies
- E-Commerce Selling Businesses
- Bicycle Shops
- Local Entertainers
- Party Hire Businesses
- And even fellow local Web Designers
Weston super Mare SEO Digital Marketing
Established locally in Weston-super-Mare since 2001, I have grown my local client portfolio and broadened my reach not only the South West UK, Somerset but also UK Nationwide; my website now ranks globally in search engines for many search terms, is marketed on multiple platforms and ranks highly pulling in potential customers that need our services. We rank businesses high on Google ranking search results, provide a high ROI in spend. Increase your traffic searches with on-site and off-site SEO, improve your local searches with Google Business, optimise your off-site profiles, listings and create enticing powerful content to improve your brand and visibility.
With time and regular SEO, I am able to demonstrate success for local businesses – drain cleaners, accountants, hair salons and provide web design and ecommerce services. Book a consultation online, or send a business enquiry now.